Saturday, October 19, 2013

Summer Horse Shows

This summer, Star and I had the opportunity to compete in two horse shows at the Lake Oswego Hunt Club in Oregon. The first one was at the end of June and the second was in the middle of August the weekend before I left for the summer to come back to Purdue. For both shows we competed in the first three classes of the day which were a walk-trot flat class followed by two trot pole jumping classes.

The first show was held on the grass arena outside at Lake Oswego. The flat class ran just like the Purdue shows do where we are all in the arena at the same time and there is someone calling out what gait we have to demonstrate. For the jumping classes, this was my first time having to learn a course, let alone two courses so I was pretty nervous for it but Star and I made it through both of them staying on course and clearing all of the jumps. We placed fifth out of nine in the flat class, third out of eleven in the first jumping class, and sixth out of fourteen in the second jumping class. Awards at this show were given to the top eight places(in intercollegiate shows awards are given to the top six.) so after the first Lake Oswego show, I went home with a ribbon bouquet made up of pink(fifth), yellow(third), and green(sixth).

For the second show, we competed in the indoor arena in the same three classes. Unlike outside on the grass, the indoor arena was loud and booming which spooked Star. We didn't have a very good flat ride because every time the announcer called out a new gait it would spook her so she was tense the whole ride. We finished seventh out of ten. We had a chance to go outside and regroup before our jumping classes and we rode fine but we placed seventh again in the first one and didn't place in the last one. After both of our jumping classes when everyone clapped for us that spooked her too because there was an echo. Needless to say, Star and I prefer riding outside at Lake Oswego but I was still happy with my sweet girl and I untacked her and took her out to graze while we waited for the other Minglewood riders to finish their classes.

We had a great summer riding together and it was awesome to have opportunities to ride in shows that were a bit different than intercollegiate riding. I can't wait to be able to pick up where Star and I left off in less than two months!

Tomorrow, the roster for the first horse show which is next weekend should be revealed so in my next post I will let you know if I'm showing next weekend and also recap how I placed individually last year and talk about some of the events we have coming up this week for the team.


During schooling(warm up) at the first show. Star stopped to pose for a picture


Competing in the flat


trot pole class


Bouquet of ribbons after the first show. We make a great team!


At the second horse show Lily and Star's boyfriend, Doctor, came too! This was after my rides and before hers. Miss them so much!


Some grazing after our rides. Happy horse.


At the end of the show, saying goodbye to Star before I left. This was the first time it really hit me that I only had two days left with her for the summer. I love her so much!


Best buddies :)

No comments:

Post a Comment