Saturday, October 5, 2013

Post-marathon Lesson

Last Saturday I ran the Mill Race Marathon in Columbus, Indiana. It was a cool morning perfect for racing until it got hot when I was around mile 14. I have run a fair number of half marathons but this was my first full marathon. The race went well and I finished just fine but it did come with three days of sore muscles. Not surprising but it made for a challenging riding lesson on Monday, two days post race. This week I rode one of the mares, Hope. We did a lot of posting trot, some sitting trot, and ended the lesson with a two-point at the trot. The two-point position is the body position for jumping. You are out of the saddle slightly and leaning forward, not an easy position to hold at the trot for a long period time with sore muscles! It's a lot like doing a squat or a wall sit on a moving animal so doing that after a full hour of riding I was definitely feeling it! For being two days after running 26.2 miles the lesson went surprisingly well and post race it's good for muscles to be used rather than sitting around. It helps the soreness go away faster.

The sign up sheet for the first horse show was posted at the barn this week so I should find out in a couple weeks whether I'm riding in the first horse show at the end of October.

That's all for this week. The next post will be about my training that I did this summer at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment